Tough & Flexible Biodegradable Polymer from Fermented Hemp
Bioremediation of Industrial Gas and Water Waste with Biofuel Output
Shepherdess Biotech is a Canadian startup based primarily out of professor Yaser Dahman's biochemical engineering lab at Ryerson University in Toronto. Along with Yaser, it is co-directed by Adam Ash and Jordan Ash, who are in part behind noospheer, a software company chiseling at open problems in computer science. We are supported by and work with extraordinary people.
Shepherdess' intention is to radically upgrade the world's fuel and plastic.
Biodegradable Plastic from Hemp
- Organically grown and fermented
- Strong and ductile
- Polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA) blend
- Breaks down in all natural environments including aquatic systems
- Digestible if swallowed (converts into H2O and CO2)
- Non-toxic, Biocompatible, FDA approved for medical applications
Wastewater into Biofuel via Algae
- Teamed up with Pond Technologies
- Developing an integrated process for bioremediating industrial wastewater with physical and biological treatment
- Designing and engineering a pilot plant in the province of Alberta for operation in 2019
- In addition to pristine water, the process will output high efficiency biofuels: butanol and biodiesel
Shepherdess Biotech formed in the summer of 2016. It builds off a decade+ of research led by Yaser Dahman. In 2018 we are moving from the current Toronto lab into a new specialized facility. This new HQ will serve as the stepping stone between lab and planetary scale. In 2019 the company will break ground in the Athabasca oil sands region of northeast Alberta with Gaia 1. This demonstration plant will clean and derive energy from ~5 million litres of OSPW (oil sands process-affected water AKA tailing ponds) per day.
We cherish our pale blue dot and hope to preserve it. The planet faces a litany of environmental challenges, but solutions do exist. However, scaling up a scientific process from the lab to the world requires a team of dedicated and tenacious people with a wide range of skills.
Feel free to drop us a line at team(at)shepherdess(d0t)ca